History

      

Dr. J.V.E. Covey and 16 charter members organized this church in April 1893 and held their first meeting under a stand of oak trees.  A small frame building was later built, becoming their first permanent church building.  Early baptisms were performed in the Medina River.  Over the years the church has erected new and larger buildings to serve its growing congregation.  The church has been instrumental in initiating additional congregations in Natalia, Atascosa, Lacoste , and Castroville.  The church continues to be active in the community as it has for over 100 years.